ZWO ASI cameras are one of the most popular astrophotography cameras for their innovation, attention to detail in products, and quality performance. If you’re looking for a refresher or curious how it works read on to learn some of the most basic processes for using a ZWO camera for the first time.
- Download and install the appropriate ZWO software onto your computer located here.
- After plugging in the camera, you will see your ZWO camera model listed under the “imaging devices” category of the Device Manager if the driver is installed successfully.
- Download and install SharpCap or other astronomy image capture software from their website or CD-ROM to test your ZWO camera.
- Choose your camera model from the camera menu.
- A preview video will show up. Keep in mind that you will only see some brightness in the preview video without lens or scope.
How to attach a ZWO camera to your telescope
- Take off the lens from your ZWO camera
- Screw the nose-piece on your ZWO camera using appropriate backfocus distance. Your camera sensor back focus is very important for deep sky imaging on larger sensors. A ZWO guide for backfocus is located here.
- Connect the USB cable to your ZWO camera and PC or use the ASIAir Pro and ZWO EAF for controlling focus.
- Focus your telescope so your camera image is sharp and you can begin imaging!
Click here to see the quick setup guide and more troubleshooting by ZWO.
Whichever you choose, these cameras make great options as beginner deep space cameras for their price point and the specs they provide at their price point. Let us know what you think about these amazing ZWO astronomy cameras in the comments below!